Victim Of Identify Theft?
If you are a victim of identity theft, below are the immediate steps you should take:
1. Call the companies where you know fraud occurred in order for you to close or freeze your account(s). For example, retail or financial institutions where you have charge accounts opened with.
2. Place a fraud alert and get your credit report. The 3 major credit bureaus are: Experian – 888.397.3742; Equifax – 800.525.6285 and TransUnion – 800.680.7289
3. File a report with your local police department.
4. Notify your financial institution(s).
5. Report identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) via their website https://www.identitytheft.gov/ or call 877.438.4338
In addition, contact the following check agencies if your checks and/or personal information have been used fraudulently:
1. ChexSystems: (800) 428-9623
2. Certegy/CPRS: (800) 437-5120
3. SCAN: (800) 262-7771
4. TeleCheck: (800) 710-9898 www.telecheck.com
Please visit https://www.identitytheft.gov/ for detailed steps on what to do if you’re a victim of identity theft.